Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Fan


Now that I have all this spare time since I am a teacher my wife has been gently nudging me to make a dent in my impressive list of honey-do's. Therefore, the other day I dutifully attempted to replace the old & broken ceiling fan in the living room with the sleek & high-powered version pictured above.
The catch was that when I had assembled, mounted, and rewired the new beauty it did nothing when I flipped the switch. So I left it hanging & proudly moved the fan from the "to be completed" list to the "practically finished" list and went to the store to get some beer for a dinner guest coming over that night.
The guest was a hilarious guy named Loren. Loren replaced me at Sports Authority in the role of store manager when I made my escape from retail. He was transferred from Phoenix for a 2-year (yeah right;-) stint here in the boonies. Being a young unmarried man from the big city, Loren finds himself quite bored here in Yuma. The nature of the beast in retail dictates that he can't really hang out with his co-workers so we get together now & then for drinks.
After a delightful dinner prepared by my better half we were sitting in the living room having a beer when Loren hinted that he was hot & the fan should be on. My lovely wife mentioned that the beautiful fan above us was inoperable despite my best efforts.
Lo & behold! Loren is a handyman that loves to work on these type of jobs. You can imagine where it went from there...I held the fan like an ox while superman rewired the fan & found a few minor errors I had made on the installation and before I could yell asshole!! he had my new fan working wonderfully.
Did I mention that Loren is coming over for Thanksgiving? I can't wait...

No comments: