Saturday, November 8, 2008

The election

My brother and I joyfully watched the election last Tuesday night. I was tense about the ghost of Democratic elections past rearing its ugly head until they called Pennsylvania & Ohio. Then I relaxed and enjoyed the historic night.

As I have consoled my Republican friends this past week I kept stating the point that Obama is very pragmatic...I think he will keep his agenda in the center-left. He is extremely intelligent and understands this election mandate is about the dissatisfaction the nation has with what the Republicans have done the last eight years...not that the USA has become liberal in all areas.

I do think that the nation has moved left on social-economic issues such as education & health care. As the US has evolved from an industrial nation to a service nation I think people expect government to take better care of them now that many jobs do not offer the same benefits as were available 15+ years ago.

Anyway...I ramble as usual when it comes to politics. The real work begins in January and I have faith...but no idea how...Obama will lead us in the right direction.

No comments: