Saturday, May 16, 2009

Engaging questions

My friend Phillip sent me this email today and I am looking forward to engaging in a spirited debate....I guess some background on Phil would be in order for those of you that do not know him...

Phil & I have been best friends since the 4th grade when Mrs. Mestas suggested he be-friend me on my first day. Like any friendship, we have had our ups and downs but he is the one guy I would want at my back in a bar fight...period.

Phil likes to make you think he's a country bumpkin and not a thinker but it's an act...he's very intelligent and has strong convictions about the strength and well-being of our country.

Plus...he is not really touchy-feeley so I can be my edgy self and he doesn't take offense. I do often have trouble playing nice...


Jon,
Damn good to hear from you the other day. It sounds as if things are good and I must pay respect for your new found and profession (maybe even calling). (Look professor my spelling and grammar suck so lets hope I can shoot a weapon better then I can spell) Thus I was sitting there smoking a cigarette and I figured to take you up on your offer to educate me in the ways of the other side. I am open minded believe or not and I am even constrained to a point that I must respect to my current Commander in Chief hence any dialog should not be construde as me disrespecting my President. We all voted based on what was important to us at the time, or background, socio economic status, beliefs and the rest of it. See this is the first election I have ever voted in (embarrassing maybe) but I felt this was a critical time. I took the time to engage in debates and read up on the candidates in an effort to educate myself. At the end of the day what drove my final decision was to look closely at the candidate that could best lead us during a time of war and who in my mind rated to lead me. I was not happy with the out come. With that said help me figure out a couple of things:
1. Why a time line to withdraw from Iraq
2. Why must we apologize for our actions (The US) which I am seeing time and time again
3. Why shut down Gitmo
4. Why are politicians getting involved with interrogation tech
5. What is this inherent distain for the former Pres as it relates specifically to the prosecution and execution on the war on terror

These are just a few questions that I have for the other side. Finally, and this should really set you off, Thank God GW was our Pres after 9-11

Looking forward to the education, be brutal, I have a thick skin shit head.

Take care and let me know what is up for June
Phil

No comments: